• On December 10, some 210 master’s and PhD candidates shared their innovative, impactful, and purposeful research with the WPI community at the 10th edition of Graduate Research Innovation Exchange (GRIE). It was an exciting and well-attended event that had the Rubin Campus Center Odeum buzzing with activity and engaged conversation.
During the day, judges visited all of the participants, evaluating their posters and learning more about their work. They selected 65 finalists—46 PhD and 19 master’s candidates divided proportionately among four categories: business and social science, engineering, life sciences and bioengineering, and science. The finalists will compete again during the Poster Finals on April 13, in conjunction with the i3: Investing in Ideas with Impact competition.
PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD
In addition to the formal judging, visitors to GRIE 2014 had the chance to vote for their favorite poster presentations in the People’s Choice Award competition.
• Morning Session: Chentao Chai (Business and Social Science, MS)
• Afternoon Session: Faezeh Shalchy (Engineering, MS), Morteza Khaleghi (Engineering, PhD, and Sina Askarinejad (Engineering, PhD), a 3-way tie.
All People’s Choice voters’ names were entered in a raffle.
• Morning Session: Mi Feng, graduate student, Computer Science
• Afternoon Session: Jim Girouard, senior program development manager, CPE
MORE TO COME IN APRIL
Mark your calendar for i3: Investing in Ideas with Impact on April 13 in the Rubin Campus Center Odeum. On that day there will be presentation of GRIE poster finalists from 1 to 3 p.m. Judges may choose to present first-, second-, and third-place awards to the both MS candidates and PhD candidates in each division. Final oral presentations will take place from 3 to 5 p.m.
Students are currently competing at the department and division levels, presenting brief pitches on their research and its marketability, without the aid of visuals. On April 13, finalists will vie for cash prizes as they present to a panel of entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, and business executives. A reception and awards ceremony for GRIE and i3 winners will follow.