The Residential Services Office provides information to WPI students as a courtesy service. WPI is not responsible for leases or other contracts between students and landlords or for the consequences of any off-campus student housing arrangement. WPI will not be involved in any negotiations between you (the leaseholder) and any landlord, property owner, student, prospective student or realtor before, during or after any agreement. In addition, WPI does not endorse or sponsor, nor does it investigate or verify, any of the agencies, information, services, advertisements, properties, or landlords included in this website.
Please be advised that apartments are listed to rent for three or less individuals. (This limitation is not intended to restrict occupancy by more than three persons who are related family members.) The reason we are taking this approach is that the City of Worcester has been enforcing a "lodging house" ordinance that prohibits more than three unrelated people from living together. It has been the City of Worcester's position that if you have more than three unrelated people AND the land owner does not have a "lodging house" license (most do not have the license) you are living in an illegal apartment and subject to Worcester Code Enforcement action. The City has cited a number of area property owners and have issued cease and desist orders that require individuals to move out of cited apartments.
WPI Residential Services does not endorse or support any specific landlord or rental agency. There are a variety of websites and posting areas where you can find off campus apartments for rent. For example:
Bulletin Boards at local businesses
Other Resources for Renters
- Checklist for Finding Off-Campus Housing (PDF)
- Rental Agreements or Leases (PDF)
- Lease Terminations & Evictions (PDF)
- Model Sublease Agreement (PDF)
- Contacts for Additional Information (PDF)
- Security Deposits (PDF)
- Maintenance, Repairs & Housing Codes (PDF)
- Utilities (PDF)
- Fire Safety (PDF)
- Renters Insurance For College Students
- Tenant Screening Services
- Massachusetts State Resources
- Visit https://www.inmyarea.com/ for information on the best providers for Utilities, Home Security, Cable TV and Internet available in the area.