Closing & Moving Out Procedures

Undergraduate Summer Courses

Complete these steps before leaving campus: 

1.Consolidate Your Belongings: Please consolidate any of your personal belongings you might be leaving in your room until you return for C-Term on to your bed. If possible, please put items in any totes or duffle bags you may be leaving behind as well. In the event the university is forced to move to remote status at some point during B-Term, this consolidation of your belongings will help to streamline any move-out process.   


2. Return Your Key: You must return your residence hall key prior to your departure (or you will be charged for the lock change). All student room keys will be collected as students depart campus during or at the end of B term. Because we will do on-boarding COVID testing when students return for C term as we did this fall, keys will be re-distributed as part of the testing and move in process in January. 

  • During B term departure: Return your key to the Express Checkout station in the Founders Hall basement across from the Campus Police window. 

  • Thanksgiving & End of B term departure: You will receive a pre-labeled envelope from your RA. Place your key in the envelope and leave it on your desk in your room. 

  • If you have already left campus, please mail your key to Residential Services in a PADDED ENVELOPE to the following address: 

WPI Residential Services 

100 Institute Road 

Worcester, MA 01609 


Additional Departure Checklist: 

Whether you leave during B term, for Thanksgiving Break, or at the end of B term, the same information applies - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. 

  • Close & Lock All Windows, Leave Shades & Blinds Open 

  • Unplug all electronics 

  • Consolidate your remaining items on to your bed 

  • Pull items away from heat sources 

  • Take home all important items – medications, IDs, Passports, etc.  

  • Throw away all food & remove trash from your room 

  • Unplug your mini fridge & leave the doors open to defrost 

  • Turn off all lights 

  • Place your key in the labeled envelope on your desk or use express checkout 


Upon receipt of your residence hall room key, WPI will deactivate your ID card access to campus and remove you from the COVID-19 Testing Protocol. 


Please remember that your housing and dining contract is for the entire academic year; you are financially obligated to this contract regardless of where you choose to do your course work. If you choose to do all of your coursework online for B-Term, you will still have your housing assignment when you return to campus for C-term because you are still paying for your assigned space. 


*If you are taking a Leave of Absence or Withdrawing from WPI, please reach out to Residential Services directly at* 

Winter Break Closing Procedures 

In accordance with Section C subset 1 of the Housing and Dining contract, all Residence Halls with required residential meal plans close for the winter break at 5pm on Saturday, December 17. 

  • Winter athletes will receive specific instructions from Residential Services about Winter Break Housing.
  • Students who have plans that do not align with the closing date may email for the link to the "Winter Break Stay Request" form from Residential Services (

Questions?  Please email Residential Services:  or if needed, please call 508-831-5645. 

When should you leave? 

  • Within 24 hours of your last final. 

When do the halls officially close? 

  • At 5pm on Saturday, December 17. 

Do all halls close for the Winter Break? 

  • No, all halls with kitchen facilities will remain open during the break. 

  • Students living in these spaces are required to submit a "Winter Break Stay Request" that they will be staying over break, even if it is just for part of the break. 

  • You will be provided a link to the "Winter Break Stay Request" from Residential Services closer to the end of B term 

When do the halls officially re-open? 

  • At 9am on the Sunday prior to the first day of C Term classes. 

Tasks to Complete Before You Leave

  • Close/lock window(s)  

  • Pull items away from heat sources  

  • Open shades/drapes  

  • Empty garbage/ remove perishables. Completely clean out refrigerators.  

  • Turn off lights/lock door  

  • Return rental textbooks  

  • Take home all essential personal belongings as you will not have access to your space. (IE: Medication, Passports, Etc..)

  • Take your WPI room key and WPI ID card with you.  Store them in a safe place and bring back with you in January!

Damage Billing Facts

  • If there is any damage in your room, suite, apartment, floor, or exterior of the hall, you may be charged.  Damage is considered anything beyond normal wear and tear, that is different in your room than was originally found at the beginning of the academic year.
  • If you have information on any damages that have occurred in common areas of your building, please contact Residential Services.   When we are unable to discern the individual responsible for the common area damage, residents of the floor/building will be charged.
  • Please be aware you will see these charges on your bill.
  • Each room will be inspected by Residential Services professional staff after the buildings are vacant.  If any damages are found during this inspection, you will be charged via your student account.