The Collegiate Religious Center is open during the evenings when academic classes are in session, Monday-Thursday from 5:00pm-11:00pm, Fridays from 5:00pm-7:00pm, and weekends from 4:00pm-8:00pm.
The CRC is closed during the day on Saturday and Sunday, but WPI staff and student groups may be able to secure reservations with more than 24-48 hours’ notice.
During the summer break, the CRC is closed for student usage during the entire summer. Should students or faculty need a prayer space, please come to the OASIS house for entrance.
Rooms are available on a first come, first served basis. 24-48 hours’ notice must be provided for tables and chairs for parties and events held within the House; outdoor grill requests require 48 hours’ advanced notice.
All reservations must be made through Outlook; you can download instructions on how to reserve a room (PDF). To reserve a specific room in the CRC, add these rooms when completing your meeting request:
- For the CRC Conference Room (Mini Tech Suite/Conference Room), add firstname.lastname@example.org
- For the CRC Main Floor (Common Area only), add email@example.com
- For the CRC Kitchen (Kitchen, backyard, grills), add firstname.lastname@example.org
- The three chaplains’ office spaces can also be reserved with the individual chaplain’s permission; contact the chaplain directly for more information
- If a group needs the whole kitchen refrigerator for an event, they must reserve it in advance
The CRC prayer room must be treated with great respect, and may only be used for prayer and/or meditation. Those entering the room must conform to the strictest religious parameters—absolutely no food, animals, or shoes. Quiet and reverence are essential, as well as entering with clean feet and hands.
Important rules and regulations regarding the CRC:
- Never use the fireplace for a fire
- The basement and third floor are off limits for safety reasons
- Respectfully share the space and treat all religious materials, objects, and activities with sensitivity
- If you wish to check out a book belonging to a chaplain or one of the religious clubs on campus, contact the CRC
- Alcohol and fire are not permitted in the CRC except for sacramental wine and candles used for religious rites
- If wine is to be drunk, a non-alcoholic alternative must be available
- Candles must be attended at all times
- Be sure to label all food with who they belong to and when they will be used;
- The kitchen is to kept kosher—no pork or shellfish is permitted in the CRC
- If you’d like to use the CRC kitchen to maintain a religious diet, first make reservations with the chaplains and execute a kitchen contract
WPI statement on religious diversity, mutual respect, and non-proselytization
WPI does not tolerate any unlawful discrimination or harassment that consists of treating a person differently in any WPI program or activity based on their race, sex, age, color, national origin, religion, genetic identity, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, transgender status, veteran status, or any other protected status.
Furthermore, WPI is dedicated to creating an atmosphere that encourages diversity in all aspects of campus life—from academics and residence hall living to social interactions among students, faculty, and staff. In accordance with these policies, it is appropriate to further clarify that WPI, its religious groups, and its Collegiate Religious Center and Chaplains are committed to mutual respect and non-proselytization. WPI will not tolerate any form of religious harassment or coercive behavior that affects one’s personal freedom to choose one’s own religious practice.