New BS/MS Graduate Students


New graduate students continuing from undergraduate studies at WPI

Welcome back. Please note that while the campus structures are the same, the process and experience in graduate studies is different from being an undergraduate student. The information below will help you make a smooth transition from undergraduate to graduate standing. Orientation is required for all new graduate students, including BS/MS students, and will assist in clarifying some of contrast between undergrad and grad processes.

To do prior to arriving on campus:

  • Log onto the WPI Health Services secure Health Portal and ensure that all of your required immunizations and documents (at least WPI Immunization Form & Tuberculosis Risk screening Form) are still active. If you are starting fall 2023, your health forms are due by June 27, 2024. If you are admitted after the June 27th deadline, you have until August 22, 2024 to upload your health forms to the Student Health Portal. 
    • If you have taken time off between your undergraduate and graduate studies, you will likely need to resubmit your paperwork or contact Health Services if a new account (new student ID) was created for you. 

Please monitor your WPI email. This is where we will notify you if you are missing required documentation.

  • Information about the student loan application that students must submit along with their FAFSA is available on our website. Here is the link to the application form.
  • If you have any disabilities and are seeking accommodations, fill out an application with the Office of Accessibility Services.
  • Incoming Graduate Students can contact the Housing & Residential Experience Center to see if there are any on-campus housing spaces available. There are a very limited amount of openings for incoming students. If interested in off-campus housing please visit the following website prior to arriving in Worcester. If you have any questions regarding local Worcester area housing options, please contact the Housing & Residential Experience Center.

To do during arrival/Orientation period:

  • Graduate Student Orientation for will take place prior to the first day of classes. BS/MS students are expected to attend Graduate Student Orientation, as there will be pertinent information to your transition to graduate school.
  • Check in with your department. Make sure you have been assigned an academic advisor in your department. BS/MS students also have access to a Student Success Manager once they enter the MS portion of their degree. 
  • Sign up for the WPI Student Health Insurance. If you choose an alternative plan, make sure you understand what is covered.
  • If you are a TA, attend TA training. The training sessions will take place after orientation, and are hosted by the Morgan Teaching & Learning Center.

To do during the initial weeks of the semester:

  • Meet with your advisor.
    • Finalize your Course Schedule before the add/drop deadline.
    • Develop your Plan of Study and get it approved by your advisor.
  • Make sure you have submitted the signed Bachelor's and Master's Degree Course Designation Form with all of the courses that you would like to double count towards your degrees, as well as any unused graduate courses from your Bachelor's that you would like to count towards your Master's. If you intend to graduate with both your BS and MS simultaneously, this form should be submitted at the beginning of the semester that you intend to graduate. Otherwise, this form should be submitted during the first semester after you graduate with your BS degree. 
  • Make sure you have settled your bill with the Bursar’s Office.
  • Health & Wellness Services
    • Pay for the WPI Student Health Fee if you wish to receive healthcare on campus. When you were an undergrad this was automatically deducted from your tuition fees. If you are a graduate student and wish to be seen at WPI Student Health Services for medical care of acute illness or injury, please call the WPI Bursar’s Office and pay request to pay the Health and Wellness Fee, or you can complete the following online form.  As a graduate student, you are given the option to receive healthcare at Health Services or with your own elected physician. We strongly recommend that you pay the health fee if you are an out-of-state or international student.
    • If you do not pay the Student Health Fee:
      • Take the time to research where the nearest walk in clinic is located. Plan ahead so you know where to go when you are feeling ill.
    • Obtain a copy of your health insurance card and keep it with you at all times.
      • Print your WPI Student Health Insurance card by logging on here.
  • Register with the Career Development Center (CDC).
  • Visit the Center for Well-Being (CWB). The CWB is a supportive and safe space to gather, relax, reflect, and recharge

Still have a question?

Send us a message to We will help.