2018 Mathematics Institute for Secondary Teaching
The Worcester Polytechnic Institute workshop will be held on Monday July 16, 2018 - Thursday July 19, 2018 in Salisbury Labs, 104.
This workshop will explore:
- how the mathematics that you teach is used by STEM professionals,
- what are the career paths open to students well-trained in mathematics,
- and how the math that you teach forms the foundation for college success.
The workshop will feature:
- Sessions in which experienced professionals discuss how they use high school mathematics in their work.
- Sessions in which recent graduates and students discuss their educational experiences, the nature and development of their young careers, and the role of high school mathematics in their professions.
- Sessions in which college professors discuss how high school mathematics forms the basis for college courses.
- Networking, brainstorming, and problem-solving.
- A project in which teachers will develop in groups a hands-on classroom activity based on the presentations
The workshop is free and meals will be provided
Presentations of speakers at this year's workshop: TBA
Teachers Presentations: TBA
The Department of Mathematical Sciences
For more information, please contact:
Professor Luca Capogna
Professor John Goulet
Professor Stephan Sturm
Professor Andrea Arnold
Professor Barry Posterro:
Ms. Rhonda Podell