Improving Healthcare Delivery and Consumer/Patient Health with Digital Health and Data Intelligence
The Healthcare Delivery Institute (HDI) at WPI is a university-wide multidisciplinary research and innovation institute, founded in 2011 to drive collaborative research, innovation, and education to impact healthcare delivery and consumer/patient health. HDI leverages WPI's distinctive interdisciplinary expertise across a broad spectrum of disciplines critical to addressing healthcare challenges, with a focus on applying digital technologies and IoT, process design and systems engineering, data intelligence and machine learning, cybersecurity, and enhanced user experience design. The Institute’s affiliated faculty, along with their research teams and students, work with leading industry, healthcare provider, government, and other organizations around the globe. The resulting solutions lead to new products, processes, and tools.
With its partners, HDI develops, creates, and demonstrates many user-driven innovations in real-life test environments, such as the living lab of Worcester and surrounding communities. Along with strategic relationships with the University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) and the Visiting Nurse Associations of New England (VNANE), HDI has collaborated with over 10 healthcare provider organizations across the continuum of care. The result is a living learning lab for healthcare innovation in central Massachusetts centered at HDI at WPI, healthcare graduate programs, thought leadership programs such as symposia and innovation forums, and workforce talent.
Current research activities and interests include: mHealth, health information technologies, sensors and wearables, wireless technologies, internet of medical things, patient engagement and user experience, health systems modeling and design, health data mining and intelligence, sleep, cybersecurity in healthcare, behavioral health and wound image analysis.
- Research Projects
- The HDI Living Lab
- Educational Opportunities
- Meet the Team
- HDI Faculty
- Healthcare Provider Partners
- Strategic Advisory Board
Our Six Core Areas of Research Expertise:
- Digital Health and IoT
- Data Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Cybersecurity in Healthcare
- Health Systems Engineering
- User Experience and Decision Making
Focused on Six Key Strategic Challenge Areas:
- Healthcare beyond the hospital (community and residential, workplace, on the go)
- Health systems design
- Acute/post-acute care and other care transitions
- Wellness and prevention, population health management
- Healthy aging with technology
- Disease diagnosis, management, and therapy
Partner With Us
Our strength lies in our ability to partner with organizations around the globe that are working to solve strategic healthcare challenges.
Ways to Engage
- Sponsor and collaborate with us on applied research projects
- Donate funds, equipment, tools to support our research and development
- Donate funds to our Spark Innovation Fund to provide seed grants to researchers on promising ideas
- Fund faculty and student internships to collaborate with your organization in an area of healthcare improvement or innovation
- Engage faculty with subject matter expertise as consultants or speakers
- Co-develop, or enroll in, education programs
- Contribute to or sponsor thought leadership activities, such as symposia and seminars
- Sponsor graduate students and post-doctoral researchers
Contact us to learn more at 508-831-6199 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Healthy Competition: UMass-WPI Course Hunts for Doctors with Ideas to Invest In
This article from the Telegram & Gazette profiles the Physician Leadership Development Program developed by UMass Memorial Medical Group and WPI's Healthcare Delivery Institute. The program provides emerging physician leaders with a development opportunity that prepares them to lead teams in an era of rapid operational change and reform. Program participants are awarded three graduate credits.