- Prototyping: Establish and promote an open environment for internal and external clients from industry, academia, and government sectors to create and test prototypes that utilize photonic integrated circuit technologies essential for manufacturing advancement in fields such as in medical devices, 5G and 6G wireless, datacom, chemical and biological sensors
- Education and Training: Establish and promote an open environment for ongoing education and hands-on training to enhance the regional technical workforce with skills needed to support and grow the emerging photonic integrated circuit ecosystem and related fields
Research Collaboration: Provide subject matter expertise and research collaboration opportunities in photonic areas related to nanoscale and microscale prototyping development, optical and electrical device characterization, fiber-chip interfacing, terahertz sensing, fiber optics, and noninvasive optical metrology for reliability testing.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), in collaboration with Quinsigamond Community College (QCC), have developed the Laboratory for Education & Application Prototypes (LEAP @ WPI/QCC). Part of the national American Institute for Manufacturing Integrated Photonics (AIM Photonics) and funded through the Massachusetts Manufacturing Innovation Initiative (M2I2), the LEAP @ WPI/QCC supports the integrated photonics manufacturing sector in central Massachusetts through an open-access facility and service center model. Meet the team to read more about the interdisciplinary faculty from WPI and QCC.
LEAP @ WPI/QCC announces the inaugural launch of their Industry Affiliates membership program
LEAP @ WPI/QCC is actively supporting the growth of the integrated photonics rapid prototyping and manufacturing sector in Central Massachusetts. The Industry Affiliate membership benefits comprise the following depending on tier level:
- Usage of laboratory and cleanroom facilities
- Opportunities to engage with experts at the forefront of integrated photonics and related technology sectors
- New distribution channels to promote company products and services
- Access to student talent (AS/BS/MS/Ph.D.) to fulfill hiring needs and for potential project collaboration
For more information about LEAP @ WPI/QCC Industry Affiliate memberships, contact LEAP@wpi.edu
Daily Herd Q&A
Douglas Petkie, head of WPI's Department of Physics, describes the promise of integrated photonics and how the partnership between WPI and QCC will strengthen the industry in Central Massachusetts.