WPI’s Data Science program is a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)-designated degree program. Its Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) Code is 30.0801, indicating it has a Mathematics and Computer Science focus. This qualifies it as a STEM program by the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) STEM-designated degree programs. View the STEM degree program list here (PDF).
The U.S. government has recognized the importance of STEM education by offering certain privileges for STEM degree recipients. These include, for example, the 17-months extension of Optional Practical Training (OPT) for STEM degree holders from the usual 12 months of Optional Practical Training to 29 months for qualified F-1 non-immigrant visa holders. Learn more about the program here.
Through our campus-wide data science initiative, you will be able to tap into the resources of multiple departments. You will have access to state-of-the-art data science software programs as part of your class-work, projects, or research projects, such as:
|IBM Cognos||IBM ILOG CPLEX||IBM SPSS Modeler|
|InfoSphere Big Insights||InfoSphere Streams||Mahout|
|Palisade DecisionTools Suite||R||RapidMiner|
Beyond computer laboratories and classrooms equipped with state-of-the-art computing equipment, you will also be able to participate in data science projects and research in interdisciplinary facilities, including but not limited to:
- Advanced Learning Technologies Laboratory
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Financial Math Laboratory
- Analytics Laboratory
- ASSISTment’s Laboratory
- Big Data: Data Management, Mining, and Visualization Laboratory Cluster
- Data Science Innovation Lab
- Flaherty Laboratory
- Healthcare Delivery Institute Living Laboratory
- Information Processing and Security Laboratory
- User Experience Decision Making Laboratory
- Science Learning by Inquiry Group Laboratory
- Statistics Multimedia Laboratory
- Signal Processing and Information Networking Laboratory
Data Science Student Resources
For more general WPI resources, visit the Student Resources page.
Information for All Data Science Students
Here you'll find our current Data Science course schedule, as well as a compilation of questions and answers (FAQ) gathered from the many Q and A's we've received.
- You Asked We Answered 2018.pdf (PDF) - updated continuously
- Data Science Graduate Course Chart (PDF)
- Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 Course Schedule (PDF)
- Fall 2017 - Spring 2018 Course Schedule (PDF)
- Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 Course Schedule (PDF)
- Fall 2015 - Spring 2016 Course Schedule (PDF)
Form for Data Science Minor (Undergraduate Students)
If you're a WPI undergrad interested in a Data Science minor, please complete this form.
Forms for Data Science Graduate Students
These general forms are used by all Data Science graduate students.
- Graduate Petition Form (PDF)
- Graduate Transfer Credit (PDF)
- TA/Grader Application Form (PDF)
- Student Expense Report (PDF)
- Graduate Curricular Practical Training or CPT Form (PDF)
- Graduate Student Sample Schedule (PDF)
- Graduate Student Schedule Sequencing Guideline (PDF)
- Graduate Internship Registration Form
Forms for Data Science MS Students
These forms are specifically for MS students in Data Science.
Forms for Data Science PhD Students
These forms are specifically for PhD students in Data Science.
- DS PhD Plan of Study (PDF)
- DS PhD in a Nutshell (PDF)
- PhD Competency Requirements (PDF)
- PhD Research Qualifier Form (PDF)
- PhD Dissertation Proposal Form (PDF)
- PhD Dissertation Defense Form (PDF)