Music is wonderful for many reasons—it’s eclectic, it offers chances to collaborate and form communities, it allows us to express emotion to others and for them to empathize with what we’re saying. At the same time, music can mean different things to different people. It comes in diverse forms, even when those making it use the same tools, inspirations, and rules (or lack thereof).
The opportunities are endless, just like they are at WPI.
We know music may not be the first thing you think of when you start looking into a STEM school, but it’s just as prevalent here as, well, STEM itself. Whether you’re a seasoned performer or have a passing interest in music and performance, you’ll have the opportunity to explore your passion for music in whatever form that may take:
- Complete your Humanities & Arts Requirement with a focus on music
- Join one of the many music ensembles on campus
- Earn a minor in music through classes in music theory, history, technology, performance, and more
- Put your passions to work through research projects on everything from electric guitar innovation to musical robotics curating the Jazz History Database
- Take advantage of masterclasses and performance opportunities with world-renowned musicians
And this is just the beginning—after all, what’s a great song without an even better hook? Check out the resources below to see how you can make music come to life at WPI.
Dive into the Back Catalog
Looking for even more on what it’s like to be a music student at WPI? There’s no better way to learn than by exploring the opportunities available to current students. Visit the Music @ WPI website, curated by members of WPI’s music faculty, for more information on performance opportunities and student groups, research labs, courses, music-oriented jobs on campus, and more.
Music by the Numbers
Blending music and STEM is nothing new at WPI, which is why we’ve created an at-a-glance look at different musical extracurriculars offered on campus:
- 9 symphonic ensembles and quintets
- 9 choir and a cappella groups
- 3 jazz groups
- 2 orchestras
- 2 drumming and percussion groups
- 1 musical theatre group
- 1 student rock association
- 1 radio station