View our on-demand webinar to be introduced to our online graduate Electrical & Computer Engineering program. Get an overview of program logistics, what online learning looks like, the application process, and more!
Graduate Certificate in ECE (Hardware Design Methodologies and Architectures)
Advancements in machine learning, intelligent systems, and the automotive industry require more and more specialized hardware implementations with lower power consumption and higher operating performance. This four-course certificate program focuses on methodologies for the modeling, design, verification, and testing of specialized and embedded hardware systems. Accelerator-based architectures and architectures for hardware implementation of intelligent machines will also be explored.
Graduate certificates in ECE are also available on-campus. Our on-campus electrical and computer engineering graduate certificates can help bridge the next steps to gain the training and expertise to advance your career in electrical and computer engineering.
Graduate Studies: Webinar Series
WPI is excited to announce our newest webinar series. Once a month, join our enrollment team members and other guests as they host quick and convenient 30-minute sessions that are designed to highlight popular topics when starting grad school. Take a deep dive into specific areas of interest such as applications and funding.
Admission Qualifications for ECE Online Graduate Certificate
The ECE online certificate program is at the graduate level and is for those who have completed a BS degree in Electrical & Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related fields. Applicants must have an understanding of digital systems and design of combinational and sequential circuits.
For specific application requirements, visit our admissions for online programs page.
If you do not have a bachelor's degree, please view our list of undergraduate programs.
New hardware architectures, new methodologies, and advanced test and verification schemes are included in this online graduate certificate program. The ECE online graduate certificate is comprised of four thematically related courses that may be taken in any order:
1. ECE 5720. Modeling and Synthesis of Digital Systems Using Verilog
Covers: Modeling, synthesis and verification of digital systems with SystemVerilog
- Automatic design, synthesis, and verification
- RTL design methodologies
- Verilog timing models, timing back annotation
- Testbench development, assertion verification
- Processor description, processor peripherals
- Design and synthesis of hardware units for smart applications
2. ECE 5724. Digital System Testing and Testable Design
Covers: Digital system testing and testable design of discrete and embedded systems
- System testing, structural testing
- Fault simulation and test generation
- Design for testability, and built-in self-test
- IEEE component and core test access standards
- Embedded hardware accelerator test schemes
- Test strategy for a Neural Network hardware implementation
3. ECE 5722. Embedded Core Architectures and Core-based Design
Covers: Embedded systems and architectures incorporating hardware accelerators and embedded cores
- Arithmetic cores, processor cores, Intel Nios
- Memory interfacing, interrupts, DMA
- Buses and switch fabrics, Intel Avalon bus
- Accelerator design and embedded system interfacing
- Intel FPGA hardware and software tools
- An embedded system for smart applications
4. ECE 5723. Methodologies for System-Level Design and Modeling
Covers: Methodologies for system-level design and modeling of integrated systems
- Object oriented logic and RTL modeling
- SystemC as a design and modeling language
- System-level description with SystemC
- Abstract SystemC channels instead of busses
- System-level communications with TLM-2.0
- High-level modeling of a machine learning application
Degree Completion for ECE Online Graduate Certificate
Students must complete the requirements for the online ECE graduate certificate program two years from the date of admission into the program.
WPI also offers an ECE Master's online program. Courses taken for the graduate certificate program can be applied to the master's program if a student chooses to continue.
Earn Your BS in ECE First
Need to obtain a bachelor of science in electrical and computer engineering as you think ahead toward earning your masters? Our BS in ECE enables students take part in the latest cutting-edge developments in topics like power systems, signal processing, and more. Our BS in ECE challenges students to explore what intrigues them in a close-knit community of like-minded junior engineers.
Are you pursuing a BS degree and have an interest in electrical and computer engineering? Consider WPI’s minor in ECE for students interested in broadening their exposure of the diverse and technology-focused field. Learn the basics in subjects ranging from electronic circuits and electromagnetic fields to signal analysis and more.
Earn Your ECE Master’s Online
Prefer to earn your master’s in electrical and computer engineering online rather than on-campus? Our ECE master’s online program provides students the flexibility to learn on their own time while still being challenged with the same rigorous computer and electrical engineering education.
Earn a Master’s in ECE On-Campus
Would you rather pursue your master’s in ECE on-campus? Check out our master’s in electrical engineering which enables students to interact directly with professors on our beautiful campus. Our on-campus ECE MS offers the same rigorous courses with the added value of in-person interaction.
Explore WPI’s Master of Engineering in ECE
Maybe you’re interested in gaining a master of engineering in ECE instead of a master of science? Explore our MEng master’s in ECE which combines business, computer science, engineering, and mathematics to prepare students to become experts in the ECE field. This program is available on-campus or online.