The Electrical & Computer Engineering master’s degree program at WPI offers extensive and rewarding research opportunities to advance your expertise in your specialty. With master’s courses for ECE students offered on campus or online, you’ll have the flexibility to earn your degree full-time or part-time around your professional obligations.
WPI is home to the first building in the nation devoted exclusively to electrical engineering education. Atwater Kent Laboratories houses extensive labs and workstation facilities for furthering the practical application of theories.
And no matter how you study as an ECE master’s student, you get full access to our world-renowned faculty and the comprehensive and sophisticated facilities where transformative research happens.
Students in the master’s in ECE program complete the majority of their courses and research in electrical and computer engineering, but can also select from master’s courses for ECE students in allied areas such as computer science, robotics, systems engineering, mathematics, and physics. WPI’s flexible electrical and computer engineering master’s degree allows you to tailor the studies to your interests.
As you fulfill your master’s in electrical and computer engineering, you’ll complete either a non-thesis option (which permits directed research and/or independent study) or a thesis option. The thesis option is strongly recommended if you plan to enter a PhD program. Students and faculty work closely together to develop a plan of study that matches both your interests and your professional goals. After graduation, your knowledge will position you to earn a top electrical and engineering salary rate.
Our approach to the MS in ECE is all about hands-on research. WPI’s world-class faculty are known for fueling breakthroughs that impact the world, and you’ll work alongside them in our labs using devices, instruments, and cutting-edge technologies.
Current ECE faculty research projects are diverse and help answer the question, “What does an electrical and computer engineer do?”
- Secure communication for low-power and hand-held devices and advanced cryptographic algorithms and
- Innovative medical devices in areas that include low-frequency electromagnetic modeling of the human body, magnetic resonance imaging, wearable sensors, and prosthesis control systems
- Embedded systems, autonomous vehicle navigation (stoplight and lane detection using machine learning) and communication (vehicle-to-vehicle, vehicle-to-infrastructure), solar/wind/renewable energy, cognitive and wireless radio systems, robotic control, power systems
You'll benefit from the MS in ECE varied research focus areas:
- Healthcare/Quality of Life: biomedical signal processing/modeling/instrumentation, wearable sensors, MRI/medical/electromagnetic imaging methods, body area networking, on-body antenna prototyping
- Security and Privacy: secure control of cyberphysical systems, cryptographic algorithm implementation, network security, embedded security, physical security, side-channel cryptanalysis
- Smart and Connected World
- CyberPhysical Systems: embedded systems, real-time digital signal processing, high-performance computing, logic synthesis, RF/microwave circuits, mixed-signal/VLSI circuits, applied and numerical electromagnetics, cognitive and software-defined radio, wireless communications and networking, localization, estimation, and detection
- Robotics: robotic controls, automata theory, optimization, localization for cooperative robotics, machine vision/recognition
- Energy & Sustainability: solar/wind/renewable energy, power electronics, high-voltage technology, energy conversion, smart cities, sustainability engineering, power systems and quality
Graduate Studies Series
Learn from our enrollment team members and other guests by attending quick and convenient 30-minute webinars we designed to highlight popular topics when starting grad school. Take a deep dive into specific areas of interest such as how to funding, how to ace your application, student services, and more!
Ready to Fulfill Your Master’s in Electrical and Computer Engineering?
As an ECE master’s student, you’ll dive into fundamentals of computers and electrical engineering courses that will challenge you to think innovatively and technically as you solve complex problems. Our expert faculty will introduce you to master’s courses for ECE students that involve hands-on technologies as you fulfill research projects. Graduates of this program find their return on investment in the job market is excellent as an electrical and computer engineering salary is strong. Need to earn your bachelor of science in electrical and computer engineering before you consider master’s courses for ECE students? Our BS program immerses students in hands-on, cutting-edge projects that make real-world impact from medical devices to cell phones. Or consider covering electrical and computer engineering basics with our minor in ECE and have the opportunity to explore diverse topics that interest you most—from electronic circuits to electromagnetic fields and circuit design.
Need to Earn a Bachelor’s in Computer Science First?
Are you ready to start your path to a computer science career? Check out WPI’s BS in computer science which explores the connected world and global perspectives. If you’re looking for background in the computer science field that will complement your major, consider WPI’s minor in computer science.
Explore Electrical & Computer Engineering Graduate Certificates
Looking to gain the training and expertise to advance your career in electrical and computer engineering? Check out our graduate certificates in electrical and computer engineering which help increase your expertise in the field.
Do you prefer to learn online? Our online graduate certificate in ECE challenges students in modeling, design, verification, and testing of hardware systems.
Earn Your ECE Master’s Online
Prefer to earn your master’s in electrical and computer engineering online rather than on-campus? Our ECE master’s online program provides students the flexibility to learn on their own time while still being challenged with the same rigorous computer and electrical engineering education.
Get On The Fast Track Toward a PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Are you driven to elevate your ECE career even further? Our PhD in electrical and computer engineering inspires grads to solve critical issues like developing data security and more reliable wireless networks.
Explore WPI’s Master of Engineering in ECE
Prefer to earn a master of engineering in ECE rather than a master of science? Check out our MEng master’s which gives students the ability to focus on business-related courses.