ECE faculty members are involved in diverse research that includes:
- New medical devices in areas that span wearable sensors to magnetic resonance imaging to prosthesis control systems to low-frequency electromagnetic modeling of the human body
- Advanced cryptographic algorithms and secure communication for low-power and hand-held devices
- Autonomous vehicle navigation (stoplight and lane detection using machine learning) and communication (vehicle-to-vehicle, vehicle-to-infrastructure), cognitive and wireless radio systems, embedded systems, robotic control, solar/wind/renewable energy, power systems
- Research into Smart and Connected World aspects of ECE including
- CyberPhysical Systems: cognitive and software-defined radio, embedded systems, real-time digital signal processing, wireless communications and networking, high-performance computing, logic synthesis, applied and numerical electromagnetics, RF/microwave circuits, mixed-signal/VLSI circuits, localization, estimation, and detection
- Robotics: localization for cooperative robotics, robotic controls, machine vision/recognition, automata theory, optimization
- Energy & Sustainability: power electronics, energy conversion, high-voltage technology, smart cities, sustainability engineering, solar/wind/renewable energy, power systems and quality
- Faculty studying Healthcare/Quality of Life will investigate biomedical signal processing/modeling/instrumentation, wearable sensors, MRI/medical/electromagnetic imaging methods, body area networking, on-body antenna prototyping.
- Security and Privacy research includes secure control of cyberphysical systems, cryptographic algorithm implementation, network security, embedded security, physical security, side-channel cryptanalysis.