- Review of Charter. This charter shall be reviewed and reassessed by the Advancement Committee at least annually, and any proposed changes shall be submitted to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Membership/Structure/Quorum. The Advancement Committee shall consist of five or more members appointed by and serving at the pleasure of the Chair of the Board. The Chair of the Advancement Committee shall be appointed by the Chair of the Board. The Chair of the Board and the President shall be members ex officio of the Advancement Committee. Members should have experience in development and/or marketing endeavors and be able to be leadership donors and open doors for external support of the Institute. A quorum of any meeting of the Advancement Committee shall consist of a majority of its voting members.
- Staff Designee. The Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations and the Vice President for Marketing and Communications, and/or their designees, shall be staff to the Committee.
- Meetings. Meetings shall be held in conjunction with regularly scheduled meetings of the Board, or as deemed necessary by the Chair of the Committee.
- Agenda, Minutes and Reports. The Chair of the Committee, in collaboration with the staff designee, shall be responsible for establishing the agendas for meetings of the Committee. An agenda, together with relevant materials, shall be sent to the Committee members in advance of each meeting. Minutes for all meetings shall be prepared in draft form by the staff designee and reviewed by the Chair, and shall be approved by the Committee members at the following meeting. The minutes shall be distributed periodically to the full Board of Trustees. The Committee shall make regular reports to the Board of Trustees.
3. Authority and Responsibilities:
The Committee’s primary responsibilities are as follows:
- Develop an understanding of the various components of the INSTITUTE’s fund-raising program including Annual Giving, Capital Giving, Planned Giving, Major Giving, Anniversary Giving, and Foundation and Corporate support;
- Assure that the Institute has a clear set of fund-raising objectives, goals and priorities;
- Develop with the Advancement staff an overall development program of both an annual and a capital nature and assure that programs are in place to effectively conduct such programs and to reach goals established for each;
- Educate individual members of the Board as to their responsibilities both as volunteers and as donors to the Institute’s various fund-raising programs;
- Assure that the Institute has a marketing/communications program consistent with clearly defined objectives to enhance the reputation and recognition of the Institute;
- Recommend to the Board for its approval policies and guidelines for accepting philanthropic gifts;
- Assure that the cultivation, stewardship and recognition of donors is appropriate for the Institute;
- Maintain liaison with the Budget and Finance Committee to ensure that the objectives of each are consistent; and
- Conduct an annual self-evaluation of the performance of the Committee, and the effectiveness and compliance with this charter.
Approved by the Advancement Committee May 18, 2007
Approved by the Board of Trustees May 18, 2007