Industrial Engineering Program
Linking People, Technology, and Business
WPI’s Industrial Engineering Program prepares you with the knowledge, experience, and leadership skills needed to solve organizational problems in a global economy.
Industrial engineers play an important role in every organization, serving as a bridge between engineering and management to analyze and adapt processes or create new ones. Whether it’s a manufacturing procedure, a staffing model, or a redesign of physical space, industrial engineers identify the people, technology, and information required for a process to be efficient—and determine how these resources should interact to be effective.
The mission of the Industrial Engineering (IE) Program at WPI’s School of Business is to prepare undergraduate students for professional engineering practice, providing the foundation for careers of leadership in challenging global and technological environments. We strive to accomplish this through an emphasis on core IE skills with:
- An innovative, project-based curriculum
- A flexible curriculum responsive to student interests and changes in the competitive global environment
- An environment that encourages faculty and student interaction
- A culture that encourages the active involvement of students in their learning
Skills You Will Learn
- Industrial Engineering Knowledge and Design Skills. Support operational decision-making and to design solutions that address the complex and changing industrial engineering problems faced by organizations, using current concepts and technologies.
- Communication Skills. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Teamwork and Leadership Skills. Serve as change agents in a global environment, based on strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility and a willingness to take the initiative.