Worcester Polytechnic Institute Announces New Admissions Building
First Building of the University's New Campus Master Plan
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE/June 10, 2004
Contact: WPI Media Relations, 508-831-5706
WORCESTER, Mass. - June 10, 2004 - In a ceremonial groundbreaking today, Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) launched the first piece of the university's new master plan with a building dedicated to the Offices of Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid. The two-story, 15,000 square-foot building will be located between the main campus quadrangle and Beech Tree Circle.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will occupy the new building's first floor and part of the second floor. Visitors will be greeted by a spacious reception area, which will lead to interview rooms and a 42-seat multimedia presentation room. Admissions staff will also have private offices and work space, as well as file and storage areas.
The Office of Financial Aid will be located on the second floor with spaces designed for a waiting area, private offices and work stations, and a large conference room.
"This new building will dramatically change the campus-visit experience for prospective students and their families," notes Kevin Kelly, WPI's associate vice president of enrollment management. "It is designed to present a warm and welcoming feeling - a strong first impression to individuals who have never been to WPI before. And being centrally located on campus, it will be easy to find."
The building will also be a catalyst for the master plan's vision of making the quadrangle a more open and green pedestrian space. The goal is to eventually remove parking from the central campus, except for spaces dedicated for handicapped access to the quadrangle and for visitors to the new building. The master plan was recently finalized after two years of design and discussion, and will act as a roadmap for the development of the WPI campus over the first two decades of the new century.
To take advantage of the open space, the architects, CBT/Childs Bertman Tseckares Inc., have designed the new building's west end with floor-to-ceiling glass windows and a patio that will look out over the campus quadrangle. Other exterior features borrow architectural elements from the nearby Sanford Riley Residence Hall and Higgins Laboratories, which were built in the 1920s and 1940s, respectively. The new building will be brick with slate feature-panels, and it will have a slate roof.
Construction is scheduled to begin later this fall, with the Offices of Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid being able to settle in by early 2006.
The building was made possible by a donation from James L. Bartlett Jr. and his wife, Shirley V. Bartlett, of California. Mr. Bartlett received his bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering in 1939 and an honorary doctor of engineering degree in 1998, both from WPI. An accomplished entrepreneur, Mr. Bartlett founded six companies in a wide range of technical fields. With an abiding affection for WPI, the Bartletts have generously supported the university and its students for many years. Upon completion, this new building will be dedicated as The Bartlett Center.
"The Bartletts are leaving a profound and lasting legacy on the WPI campus," says WPI President Edward Alton Parrish. "Their generosity will touch countless thousands of future WPI students and families, whose first introduction to campus will be through the building that bears their name. We are extremely grateful for their far-reaching contribution."
About Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Founded in 1865, WPI is a pioneer in technological higher education. WPI was the first university to understand that students learn best when they have the opportunity to apply the knowledge they gain in the classroom to the solution of important problems. Today, its first-rate research laboratories support master's and Ph.D. programs in more than 30 disciplines in engineering, science and the management of technology.