Skip to main content

I am interested in seeking resources to support my work. Which office do I contact first? Foundation & Corporate Philanthropy, the Office of Sponsored Programs or Academic & Corporate Engagement?

  • If you are seeking funding from private or corporate foundation, call the Office of Foundation & Corporate Philanthropy. 
  • If you are seeking funding from funding source that is not a private or corporate foundation, such as the federal, state or local government, then contact the Office of Sponsored Programs. These funders would include the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Energy, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the National Endowment for the Arts, DARPA, the Massachusetts Department of the Environment, and the City of Worcester.
  • If you are seeking corporate sponsorship of an MQP or other student project, and for all other corporate inquiries, contact Academic & Corporate Engagement.
  • If you are seeking a gift-in-kind (e.g. equipment) from a corporation, contact Foundation & Corporate Philanthropy.



  1. Discuss your project and proposed funding with your Department Head or Director and obtain his/her approval for the proposal.
  2. Call the Office of Foundation & Corporate Philanthropy.
  3. We will discuss your request and begin the process of identifying prospects if one is not already identified.
  4. Once a prospect or prospects are identified, Foundation & Corporate Philanthropy will review each foundation’s guidelines with you to ensure the best possible alignment between your project and the foundation’s goals and process.
  5. Foundation & Corporate Philanthropy will work with you to make the first contact with the foundation.
  6. Foundation & Corporate Philanthropy will assist you in developing the proposal or next action (which might be a simple Letter of Inquiry or a brief summary of your project) as requested by the foundation.
  7. Foundation & Corporate Philanthropy coordinates the appropriate review and approvals by the university’s academic and administrative management, and submits the proposal.