Students who have been away from WPI for a voluntary institutional leave of absence or medical leave of absence may request to return from leave of absence. The return from leave of absence process has been designed to make sure that students are ready to return successfully to WPI. Students must submit a request to return before the leave of absence expires. If the leave expires you will be automatically withdrawn.
Students may only return at the beginning of a semester (Fall semester/A-term, Spring semester/C-term, or Summer/E-term). Students may not request to return for B or D terms.
- Required Documentation for ALL Students
- All students requesting to return to WPI must complete the appropriate Request to Return from Leave of Absence Form and submit to the Registrar’s Office by the applicable deadlines.
Undergraduate Request to Return from Leave of Absence Form
Deadlines: Fall Semester: July 20th Spring Semester: November 15th Summer Session: May 1st
Graduate Request to Return from Leave of Absence Form
Deadlines: Fall Semester: August 1st Spring Semester: December 1st Summer Session: May 1st
2. Additional Requirements or Documentation (based on type of leave/student circumstances)
- To return from a medical leave of absence, students must be away from WPI for a minimum of 30 days before submitting a request to return. Students must also provide the following before being cleared to return:
- For psychological medical leaves of absence, the student is responsible for providing the Student Development and Counseling Center (SDCC) with the appropriate documentation from his/her licensed mental health care provider. This documentation should include a written letter from the licensed mental health care provider describing the student’s treatment while on medical leave, any ongoing treatment needs/concerns upon the student’s return to WPI, and a statement that specifically supports the student’s return to WPI. Additional documentation includes the completed Licensed Mental Health Professional Questionnaire to Return From Leave of Absence (PDF).
In most circumstances, the student is required to complete an in-person return from leave of absence interview with the SDCC Director prior to the beginning of the semester in which s/he intends to return. This return from leave of absence interview will be scheduled after the Student Development and Counseling Center receives all appropriate documentation. Return from leave of absence will be supported by the SDCC Director if all of the following conditions are met:
- The student’s current mental health status, as determined by the SDCC Director during the return from leave of absence interview, would not impede the student's ability to function successfully as a student.
- The student is assessed to be at low risk for harm to self and/or others.
- The student demonstrates having successfully participated in treatment with a licensed mental health care provider while on leave.
- The licensed mental health care provider recommends returning from leave of absence.
- The student’s ongoing treatment needs can be reasonably met while being enrolled as a full-time student.
- For all other medical leaves of absence, the student is responsible for providing WPI Health Services with the appropriate documentation from a licensed health care provider. This documentation should include a written letter from the licensed health care provider describing the student’s treatment while on leave, any ongoing treatment needs/concerns upon the student’s return to WPI, and a statement that specifically supports the student’s return to WPI. With the student’s written consent, the Health Services Director will contact the student’s licensed health care provider to verify readiness to return to WPI and to review continuum of care needs.
Once confirmation of support is received by the Registrar’s Office and the Health Services Director or the SDCC Director can verify that the student has met the necessary conditions for returning from medical leave of absence, the Director provides the Registrar with a written confirmation in support of the student’s return. The Registrar will remove the student’s medical hold and will notify the student in writing of official return from leave of absence.
- If you attended another institution during your absence, ask the institution to complete the Dean of Students Student Record Release Form (PDF). You will also need to request an official transcript from the other institution to be sent to the Registrar’s Office to be evaluated for any potential transfer credit.
- If you have been financially withdrawn from WPI you must be cleared by the Bursar’s Office in order to return. Please visit the Bursar’s Office website to find information regarding the process for financial readmission.
- In certain situations where a student has been administratively withdrawn, the Dean of Students staff may be involved in rendering a decision regarding the return to student status. This may include a request for additional documentation, and an interview with the student based on the circumstances related to the withdrawal.
3. Other Considerations
- Contact The Office of Student Aid and Financial Literacy for financial aid deadlines and information regarding your financial aid package.
- International students must contact the International House regarding their visa status.
- Contact Residential Services to inquire about housing availability.
- Undergraduate Students: Schedule an appointment with an advisor in the Office of Academic Advising.
- Graduate Students: Contact your Graduate Coordinator or Department Head for approval and information regarding course registration.