In keeping with the original purposes of the founders of WPI, the Two Towers Prize is awarded to the student who, through general academic competence, campus leadership, regular course work, and special work in research and projects, best exemplifies a combined proficiency in the theoretical and practical union that is at the heart of the WPI educational tradition. This prize was given by Mildred M. Tymeson Petrie, author of Two Towers, WPI's centennial history.
Applications are accepted online and include the following materials (PDF Files Only):
- A personal statement written by the student describing his or her academic and other interests at WPI as well as aspirations or goals (500-1000 words, PDF only);
- A PDF version of the student’s transcript. For directions on downloading your transcript, click here.
- A resume with a brief description of leadership, campus and community service, employment, internships, research and academic projects (1-2 pages, PDF Only); and
- A faculty letter of support testifying to the student’s qualifications. (Additional letters of support from faculty or staff are welcome but not required.)
The application consists of three steps.
- Students meet with faculty members to discuss their application.
- Students prepare their personal statement and resume and download their transcript. For directions on how to download your transcript, click here. Save all files as PDF documents.
- Students submit their materials (personal statement, transcript, and resume) through the online application system by April 20, 2021. When the student has completed submitting these materials, the faculty will be notified by email to submit their letters of support in the online application. All materials must be submitted as PDF documents.
The selection committee will include the Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies, plus additional faculty representatives.
Browse Two Towers Prize awardees
|2020||Mark Bray||Winner||Undergraduate||Biomedical Engineering|
|2020||Amanda Lowther||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate||Biomedical Engineering|
|2019||Alissa Ostapenko||Winner||Undergraduate||Computer Science, Mathematical Sciences|
|2019||Joshua Driscoll||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate||Biology & Biotechnology|
|2018||Maria Daigle||Winner||Undergraduate||Biomedical Engineering, Psychological Science|
|2018||Brian Zylich||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate||Computer Science|
|2018||Toni Joy||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate||Industrial Engineering|
|2017||Alex Markoski||Winner||Undergraduate||Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering|
|2016||Conrad M. Ruiz||Winner||Undergraduate||Biomedical Engineering|
|2016||Gyneth Campbell||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate||Mechanical Engineering|
|2015||Nidhi M. Diwakar||Winner||Undergraduate||Robotics Engineering|
|2015||Jinghan Wu||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate||Mechanical Engineering, Professional Writing|
|2014||Luke Perreault||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2013||Sarah Ann Cote||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2012||Jennifer Mann||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2011||Sarah Mattessich||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2011||Tayeisha Jackson||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2010||Olufunmilayo Olatokunbo Adebayo||Winner||Undergraduate|
|2010||Elizabeth Dailey||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2009||Kelly E. Johnson||Winner||Undergraduate|
|2009||Roseann S. Gammal||Winner||Undergraduate|
|2009||Manasi P. Vartak||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2008||Daniel J. Smaltz||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2008||Nicholas L. Pelletier||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2008||Syed M. Ali||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2007||Charles A. Gammal III||Winner||Undergraduate|
|2007||Akanksha Sharma||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2007||Jill M. Goldstein||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2007||Krystal L. Parker||Honorable Mention||Undergraduate|
|2005||Martin D. Driggs||Winner||Undergraduate|
|2004||Sidharth G. Rupani||Winner||Undergraduate|
|2003||Jessica M. McAlear||Winner||Undergraduate|
|2002||Nina K. Simon||Winner||Undergraduate|
|2001||Katherine C. Wheeler||Winner||Undergraduate|
|2000||Nicholas F. Arcolano||Winner||Undergraduate|
|1999||Erica L. Tworog||Winner||Undergraduate|
|1998||Jennifer M. Wright||Winner||Undergraduate|
|1997||Michael T. Willock||Winner||Undergraduate|
|1996||Jeffrey D. Spaleta||Winner||Undergraduate|
|1995||James P. Naughton||Winner||Undergraduate|
|1994||Kevin M. Shea||Winner||Undergraduate|
|1993||Christopher S. Music||Winner||Undergraduate|