New International Graduate Students

Students working beside robotic arm

Welcome! You will need to get started as early as possible. Much of the paperwork to become a student in the United States takes time to complete and get processed. Please use this link to find the International Student Handbook which contains useful information for international students.

To do prior to arriving on campus:

  • As soon as you receive your admission letter, make sure you complete the I-20 Request Form and submit it in your Application Status page with the required financial documentation.
  • Upon receipt of your I-20 or DS-2019 form, start the visa application process following the directions included with the I-20/DS-2019 form.
  • Submit your official and final transcript to the Graduate Admissions Office. Your previous institution can send the official transcript electronically to ( or by mail to the Office of Graduate Admissions, 100 Institute Road, Worcester MA 01609.  If the official and final transcript are not received by the start of classes a hold will be placed on your account and you will not be able to start classes. 
  • Set up your WPI computer account. Once you submit your confirm your enrollment, and submit your enrollment deposit, you will receive an email guiding you through the account setup process.
  • Make an appointment with a medical provider well before coming to campus to complete the WPI Immunization Form & Tuberculosis Risk Screening Form. These need to be in English or translated and transcribed by a medical professional. Once you receive your WPI email and password and register for courses, you will be able to submit documentation through WPI Health Services Health Portal. You should start submitting your health forms as soon as possible (even if they are incomplete).

Please monitor your WPI email. This is where we will notify you if you are missing required documentation.

  • If you have any disabilities and are seeking accommodations, fill out an application with the Office of Accessibility Services.
  • Learn more about LGBT+ Support available on campus. 
  • Participate in one of the webinars offered by the International House for new international graduate students. You will receive an email with times and dates.
  • Incoming Graduate Students can contact the Residential Services Office to see if there are any on-campus housing spaces available. There are a very limited amount of openings for incoming students. If interested in off campus housing please visit the following website prior to arriving in Worcester. If you have any questions regarding local Worcester area housing options, please contact the Residential Services Office.

To do during arrival/Orientation period:

  • Attend International Graduate Student Orientation and receive your international orientation packet. Please bring your passport to this session.
  • WPI organizes English proficiency testing for students from non-native English speaking countries, even if you have TOEFL and IELTS scores on file with admissions. More information will be distributed over the summer about the testing process.
  • Sign up for the WPI Student Health and Accident Insurance. If you choose an alternative plan, make sure you understand what is covered.
  • Get your WPI ID card. You must have an ID to check in at orientation.
  • Graduate Student Orientation for spring 2023 will take place on January 9th. 
  • Open a bank account. For more information about how to open a bank account please refer to the International Student Handbook.
  • Check in with your department. Make sure you have been assigned an academic advisor in your department.
  • TAs & RAs
    • TAs need to attend TA training. The training sessions will take place after orientation and are hosted by the Morgan Teaching & Learning Center
    • TAs and RAs will need to apply for a Social Security Number for tax and payment purposes once you arrive in the US. The International House will help you file for your SSN. You must be registered in SEVIS before you file for the SSN in person in the US. For more information you can read here.
  • Off-campus housing
    • If you will be living off-campus, you will likely need to find housing before your arrival in the US. The International House will discuss information about housing in the US during their pre-departure webinar, however we recommend reviewing this guide to tenant rights and responsibilities in Massachusetts to get started.
  • Register your vehicle with Campus Police and obtain a parking permit.  

To do during the initial weeks of the semester:

  • Meet with your advisor.

    • Finalize your Course Schedule before the add/drop deadline.
    • Develop your Plan of Study and get it approved by your advisor.
  • Make sure you have settled your bill with the Bursar’s Office.
  • Health & Wellness Services
    • Pay the WPI Student Health Fee if you wish to receive healthcare on campus (optional and different from required health insurance) at the Bursar’s Office and bring a copy of the record to WPI Health Services at 32 Hackfeld Road.
    • If you do not pay the Student Health Fee:
      • Take the time to research where the nearest walk in clinic is located. Plan ahead so you know where to go when you are feeling ill.
    • Obtain a copy of your health insurance card and keep it with you at all times.
      • Print your WPI Student Health Insurance card by logging on here.
  • Register with the Career Development Center (CDC).
  • Visit the Center for Well-Being (CWB). The CWB is a supportive and safe space to gather, relax, reflect, and recharge.


Still have a question?

Send a message to We will help.