Because of the limited number of parking spaces on campus, registered vehicles are not guaranteed a parking space. Parking is on a first come, first served basis.
Parking on WPI's campus property is a privilege extended to members of the WPI community who have registered their vehicles with the WPI Police Department, in accordance with WPI's Parking and Traffic Regulations.
These parking and traffic regulations apply to all personnel including all faculty, staff, students and other persons who operate any motor vehicles on campus or other land of the College.
These traffic regulations have been established in an effort to maintain a clear and safe path for all campus community members and visitors. The implementation of these regulations by no means is meant to hinder and/or deter parking on campus. Their purpose is to encourage the safe operation of motor vehicles while on campus, to maintain emergency vehicle access, to assist with pedestrian safety, and to maintain parking consistency.
All WPI faculty, staff, students, conferees, guests, and groups who operate any motor vehicles on campus or other land belonging to the university, are required to read, understand, and abide by the traffic rules and regulations as outlined in this brochure and upon posted signage.
- Observe campus speed limit of 15 mph, unless otherwise posted at 10 mph.
- Display a current parking permit when using WPI parking lots.
- Observe all Stop, Do Not Enter, One-Way Arrows, and all other parking/traffic-related signage etc.
- Do not drive or park on walks, paths, cobblestone, or grassy areas.
- Park within lined parking spaces.
- Do not park camper vehicles/trailers on campus unless authorized by the Director of Public Safety.
- Observe all crosswalk markings by allowing pedestrians the right of way.
- Do not repair, wash, or wax vehicles in any of the campus parking lots.
- Do not operate bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades, roller-skates, or any other form of personal transportation for the purposes of performing stunts on WPI-owned and leased property (including roadways, tennis courts, athletic fields, basketball courts, sidewalks, and plaza areas). Stunt activity can prove to be dangerous both to the individual performing the stunt and to the pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic in the area
Any person found defacing, removing, or attempting to remove or in the unlawful possession of WPI owned property (signage, barriers, equipment or other inventory) will be subject to a $150 fine.
Immediately report all crimes and emergencies to the WPI Campus Police by calling 508-831-5555. (Including: motor vehicle accidents, damage to vehicles, thefts or attempted thefts)
One area on campus (Boynton lot, near the stairs) is clearly marked for motorcycle parking only. All motorcycles are to be parked in these spaces and must be kept away from building entrances and sidewalks. Permits are not required for motorcycle parking, but all motorcycles must be registered by filling out a registration form online (link to application can be found here). Other motor vehicles may park in motorcycle spaces ONLY under two conditions: during the winter months and/or by the direction of a WPI Police officer. No parking motorcycles from December 1 through March 1. *Under extenuating circumstances, please visit WPI Police*
If parking just a motorcycle on campus, the cost is $25 for registration. If parking an automobile and motorcycle, registration cost is $100. If registering a motorcycle first ($25), then registering an automobile, an additional $75 registration fee applies.