WELCOME TO THE STAFF COUNCIL PAGE!
The WPI Staff Council is the voice of the employees at the university. Members are elected to advocate for and act as a collective voice for the interests and needs of WPI’s non-union staff. Having a staff council helps foster a positive and inclusive environment at WPI and offers an informed support and resource for staff members.
Through programs, resource sharing, and communication, the Staff Council will represent a diverse range of staff while working for the improvement of the campus community. As a platform to foster open communication, it will serve in an important advisory role on matters of interest and concern while supporting WPI's mission, values, and strategic goals.
WPI’s inaugural Staff Council will form the foundation of the work to be done in the future with immediate goals, including establishing a constitution and bylaws to outline the proposed structure and operation of the council.
The council responsibilities include but are not limited to ...
· championing staff success
· assisting with evaluating policies and procedures affecting staff
· developing plans for staff recognition and celebrations
· acting as a resource for staff questions
· advocating for staff concerns
Staff Council hosted a successful Harvest of Thanks: A Staff Gratitude Gathering to kick off the holidays!
An annual election process (while keeping half of the Staff Council intact) will ensure the flow of continuity from year to year and will allow for rotating participation in the Staff Council moving forward. Staff Council member terms expire on June 30 of the second year of service.
Who is eligible to join the Staff Council?
· Any staff employee (with exceptions noted below) is eligible for consideration for Staff Council elections. All perspectives are welcome and necessary to have an effective council.
· Union members, faculty, and members of the President’s Leadership Team (TLT) are not eligible to vote or to serve on the Staff Council.
What is the time commitment for the Staff Council members?
Staff Council terms are for two years and will involve monthly council meetings. Subcommittees will meet on an as-needed basis and will report at each monthly council meeting.
The Staff Council co-chairs will meet monthly with T&I leadership and may meet with the president up to once a term, as well as with guests from the Management Council, as deemed appropriate.
Service on the Staff Council is considered a part of the staff member’s workload; therefore, it is not additive to the responsibilities of the staff member’s work