First Generation Families
WPI understands that parents and family members want to help, too. As a community we are committed to supporting not only your student, but all parents, families, and champions of their First Generation student. Thank you for visiting this website and encouraging your student to become a college graduate!
For Parents, Families & Champions
If you are the parent or guardian of a middle or high school student who wants to go to college, you can find helpful information about getting into college here. You can also visit our WPI Admissions First Gen page at Be the First at WPI.
If your student is the first member of your family to attend college, they are likely to face some unique challenges. However, we are here to support them and there are several things you can do to help your student thrive at WPI.
Families can help students by encouraging students to:
- Encourage student to look at the First Year Experience website.
- Become familiar with university resources and remind them to take advantage of all of the services provided to them.
- Ask for help and remind them that asking for help is a sign of strength!
- Develop relationships with professors/teaching assistants, faculty, and staff by attending office hours or chatting with them after class.
- Encourage student to utilize tutoring services on campus or attend a Math and Science Help (MASH) group session, if they are struggling with a course.
- Remain engaged by participating in campus activities that will foster their sense of belonging. These activities may include joining a student organization, consider a student leadership position, engaging in community service opportunities, or meeting with an academic advisor.
- Remind them that even though you might not be able to provide specific advice on how to navigate college, you are always there to support and love them.
- Visit the University and spend some time engaging in some of the many cultural and social opportunities for families to connect with the University. Visit the WPI Parents website for more information.
- Sign up for the Parents Newsletter. Whether there is an upcoming event, an important deadline, or a cool student project, the newsletter is designed to keep parents current with all that is happening at WPI.
- Attend Family Weekend.