The Intentional Design Studio (IDeaS) brings together artists and developers to work on innovative projects. Students and professionals alike work together using the newest hardware and software technologies in AR, VR, Mobile App Development, and simulation design. Here you can complete projects in medical imaging, architectural engineering, educational app development, simulated environments, augmented realities, and so much more.
The IMGD department offers a wide range of studio facilities and resources and opportunities to help our students stay informed, take control of their education, and create compelling works of media.
Labs & Locations
Worcester Center for Crafts
Our program partners with the Worcester Center for Crafts, a non-profit community-based arts organization, where our students are able to take courses in glassblowing and ceramics. The Worcester Center for Crafts also hosts a number of IMGD events for students and faculty alike, such as the Computational Crafting Symposium.
Fuller Art Studio & ZooLab
In Fuller 222’s art studio, IMGD students have access to 24 computer stations, each equipped with the hardware and software necessary for digital art projects, including Wacom Cintiq pen displays. A smaller version of this studio, IMGD’s ZooLab, can be found in Fuller A21. Both studios are accessible 24/7 with student and faculty keycards.
The Innovation Studio
At the Innovation Studio on campus, our students have access to makerspaces and prototype labs equipped with 3D printers, WPI’s Global Lab video recording suite, and a large vestibule display screen for showcasing their work to the WPI community.
Digital Art & Fabrication Studio (FabLab)
IMGD’s FabLab in Fuller A17 provides students with a wide array of equipment for their projects, including green screens, VR setups, 3D printers and scanners, sewing machines, cooperative computer stations, and Wacom Cintiq displays. With 24-hour keycard access, students have the freedom to work in the FabLab at any time.
Paper Prototyping Studio & Graduate Lounge
At the paper prototyping studio and graduate lounge in Fuller A25, IMGD students can conduct meetings around large conference tables, construct paper prototypes, and even play games with other students on TV screens—for research purposes only, of course! Like our other IMGD labs, the paper prototyping studio and graduate lounge is accessible to students with keycards 24/7.
The IMGD Interaction Lab in Fuller B16 has all the equipment students need for data visualization, music computerization, and computational crafts. The Interaction Lab is open 24/7 for students with keycards.
Undergraduate Tracking Sheets
IMGD Technology Major (Bachelor of Science)
- IMGD Technology Major (BS): .xlsx, .pdf
- IMGD Technology and Computer Science Double Major (BS): .xlsx, .pdf
IMGD Major (Bachelor of Arts)
- IMGD Major (BA) with No Concentration: .xlsx, .pdf
- IMGD Major (BA) with Visual Art Concentration: .xlsx, .pdf
- IMGD Major (BA) with Technical Art Concentration: .xlsx, .pdf
- IMGD Major (BA) with Design Concentration: .xlsx, .pdf
- IMGD Major (BA) with Writing Concentration: .xlsx, .pdf
- IMGD Major (BA) with Audio & Music Concentration: .xlsx, .pdf
- Graduate Tracking Sheets & Resources
- Course Schedules
- WPI Course Catalogs and Academic Calendars
IMGD Undergraduate Course List
IMGD is a vast and multidisciplinary subject. While our undergraduates are exposed to a number of specialized IMGD courses within our department, we also encourage our students to broaden their expertise by taking classes in art, architecture, philosophy, literature, computer science, and business.
- IMGD 1000. CRITICAL STUDIES OF INTERACTIVE MEDIA AND GAMES
- IMGD 1001. THE GAME DEVELOPMENT PROCESS
- IMGD 1002. STORYTELLING IN INTERACTIVE MEDIA AND GAMES
- IMGD 2000. SOCIAL ISSUES IN INTERACTIVE MEDIA AND GAMES
- IMGD 2001. PHILOSOPHY AND ETHICS OF COMPUTER GAMES
- IMGD 2030. GAME AUDIO I
- IMGD 2048. TECHNICAL ART AND CHARACTER RIGGING
- IMGD 2101. 3D MODELING I
- IMGD 2222. 2D ANIMATION I
- IMGD 2333. 3D ANIMATION I
- IMGD 2400. WRITING CHARACTERS FOR INTERACTIVE MEDIA & GAMES
- IMGD 2500. DESIGN OF TABLETOP STRATEGY GAMES
- IMGD 2700. DIGITAL PAINTING
- IMGD 2740. 3D ENVIRONMENTAL MODELING
- IMGD 2900. DIGITAL GAME DESIGN I
- IMGD 2905. DATA ANALYSIS FOR GAME DEVELOPMENT
- IMGD 3000. TECHNICAL GAME DEVELOPMENT I
- IMGD 3030. GAME AUDIO II
- IMGD 304X. TECHNICAL ART PIPELINE MANAGEMENT
- IMGD 3100. NOVEL INTERFACES FOR INTERACTIVE ENVIRONMENTS
- IMGD 3101. 3D MODELING II
- IMGD 3200. INTERACTIVE ELECTRONIC ARTS
- IMGD 3222. 2D ANIMATION II
- IMGD 3333. 3D ANIMATION II
- IMGD 3400. WRITING NARRATIVE FOR INTERACTIVE MEDIA & GAMES
- IMGD 3500. ARTISTIC GAME DEVELOPMENT I
- IMGD 3700. CONCEPT ART AND CREATIVE ILLUSTRATION
- IMGD 3900. DIGITAL GAME DESIGN II
- IMGD 4000. TECHNICAL GAME DEVELOPMENT II
- IMGD 4030. ADVANCED TOPICS IN INTERACTIVE AUDIO
- IMGD 405X. ANIMATION STUDIO
- IMGD 4099. SPECIAL TOPICS IN IMGD
- IMGD 4100. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE FOR INTERACTIVE MEDIA AND GAMES.
- IMGD 4200. HISTORY AND FUTURE OF IMMERSIVE AND INTERACTIVE MEDIA
- IMGD 420X. GRAPHICL SIMUL OF PHYSICAL SYS
- IMGD 440X. MOTION CAPTURE TECHNIQUES
- IMGD 4500. ARTISTIC GAME DEVELOPMENT II
- IMGD 4600. SERIOUS GAMES
- IMGD 4700. ADVANCED STORYTELLING: QUEST LOGIC AND LEVEL DESIGN
- IMGD 4900. DIGITAL GAME DESIGN STUDIO
IMGD Graduate Course List
- IMGD 5000. STUDIO
- IMGD 5010. IMGD FUNDAMENTALS
- IMGD 5100. TANGIBLE AND EMBODIED INTERACTION
- IMGD 5200. HISTORY AND FUTURE OF IMMERSIVE AND INTERACTIVE MEDIA
- IMGD 5300. DESIGN OF INTERACTIVE EXPERIENCES
- IMGD 5400. PRODUCTION MANAGEMENT FOR INTERACTIVE MEDIA
- IMGD 5500. SERIOUS AND APPLIED GAMES
- IMGD 5600. MULTIDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH METHODS IN COMPUTATIONAL MEDIA
- IMGD 6000. IMGD COLLOQIUM
- IMGD 6001. IMGD CAREER COLLOQUIUM
To explore the other courses you can take as an IMGD graduate student, visit our Graduate page.
- Professional Organizations
- Minor Resources
- Other Academic Resources
All of the PCs in our IMGD labs are equipped with an i7-8700K @3.70GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD primary hard drive, 2TB 7200 RPM secondary hard drive, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card.
In addition to the hardware available in our IMGD labs, the following equipment is available for rental from WPI's Academic Technology Center for IMGD students:
- Electronic Kits
- Hard Drives
- Audio Equipment
- IMGD Tripods
- Virtual Reality Equipment
For more information, visit the ATC’s IMGD Equipment catalog on Canvas.
All IMGD computer stations are equipped with the following software for IMGD students:
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Mathcad 15
- Arduino IDE
- Substance Designer
- Substance Painter
- Unreal Engine
- Substance Bitmap2Material
- Cycling 74 Max
- Marvelous Designer 9
- Dynamixyz Performer
- 3ds Max